Friday, 28 January 2011

Portfolio Feedback - Alex Atkinson

I had a portfolio surgery meeting with Alex Atkinson today. His comments about my portfolio box were really strong. He likes the fact that physical work was incorporated between slides and that each project's slides could be laid out on a table rather than the flipping through a linear folder. The slide format also allows for work to be compared and contrasted. 
Similarly to Mark Howe, Alex also liked the format of the slides. The 12" vinyl size really seems to be a magical format to hold and look at. 
An advantage of the slide format is that a group of people are able to look in their own time, holding different slides rather than crowding around a folder and missing work once a page is turned.  
Looking at my physical vinyl packaging examples, Alex commented that using stickers in the same way as I've done on my vinyl packaging might be a good way to get information onto the slides without needing to put type directly on the work - sticking it directly onto the protective plastic sleeve.
As for the dividing slides for each brief, Alex liked the simple use of type. I mentioned to him that I had done this so that the whole delivery of the portfolio was not too ostentatious and in your face. It could be easy to use the flight-case and go too far with decorating it. I want to remain restrained and professional in the presentation, not showboat and try too hard to impress. Its important to me that I don't cross that line or come across arrogant or cocky. 
Now all I need to do is perfect the delivery and add more work to it. All in all a very good session. 

No comments:

Post a Comment