Monday, 10 January 2011

Ollie Saward Logo Development 3

I showed people at Uni my identity designs today and they all seemed to think the choice of typeface was good. People also commented that they liked the idea of having a logo mark and logo type for use in different situations. One comment however did get me thinking. Chloe mentioned that I should try using my handwriting as it is full of my own character and it might suit use on my business card. So I gave it a go as an alternative to my previous designs.
I do like the use of my own handwriting as it is a personal touch but can't help thinking it looks like a fashion labels logo. Will, Lauren and Chloe all said that I am one of the only people they know who, in their opinion, has their personality come through in their handwriting. Nice of them to say but I think this might be because they all know me really well and now associate my character with my handwriting. They can no longer be subjective perhaps? If I gave a business card with the handwriting logo on it to a stranger would they think the same thing? Or would they think I'm a fashion designer?
Whilst writing the last few sentences I discussed this with Will and he said that he thinks that just the use of my handwriting is what is 'Ollie'. Obviously it is more personal than the type but to actually use the handwriting is essentially what represents me. He said that to just us the type is maybe too technical and serious to represent me. Maybe he's right? I think I should stop with the identity for now and sleep on it as it's boggling my mind right now. 

2 comments:

  1. Yo man. Logo feedback. My favourite is 'signature 3'. I feel it best juxtaposes the hand-drawn and digital type, especially with the O falling onto the baseline of the type. Overall it's a good shape, and would sit well on letterheads, or in the top corner of a website. The only comment is that it gives off mixed messages of subject to me. It is well designed, but could probably sit just as well for, say, a fashion designer (though not specifically!). Then again, in the context you'd use it, it would work fine.

    IEP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts exactly. It looks a bit too much like a fashion label perhaps. I like the idea of using my handwriting but might have to face facts that the logo will always look reminiscent of fashion identities.

    Thinking abut it, pure type might be a better way to go. Something typographically interesting but neutral - so as to not suggest too much about my work or conjure up preconceptions.

    ReplyDelete