Thursday, 20 January 2011

Portfolio Feedback - Mark Howe

I had my portfolio surgery with industry professional Mark Howe this afternoon. Unfortunately Alex Atkinson couldn't make it so it has been rearranged for next Friday. My meeting with Mark went pretty well. As mentioned in a previous post I wanted to get some feedback on my vinyl case delivery and format:
He really liked the format of the slides - nice to hold and very portable. He also liked the fact that you could get each project out and lay it out on a table to assess the images all together - unlike the linear progression of a traditional folder portfolio. Another strength he found was that if I had an interview with multiple people looking at my work, they could look at a slide each in their own time rather than crowding round a single folder. The slide format also allows me to quickly and easily add / remove projects specific to particular interviews. This sort of flexibility is a really nice feature of the whole folio concept.

One concern he did have was that the box was perhaps a bit too 'harsh' or 'solid' and he suggested making it softer somehow. Perhaps a nice record bag for example? This would tie in with the nice format of the slides and continue the theme. I'm not too sure I think the case is too 'harsh', but it is a valuable point as future interviewers may agree with him.  It is his own opinion after all, and feedback in the studio has been strong toward the flight case.
I am going to keep the portfolio the same for when I see Alex from the Consult this coming Friday and compare his reaction, them make necessary adjustments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment