Yesterday we had a workshop looking at our self written negotiated briefs. Our first task was to look at our own design practice and work out what we want to do and what we need to do with regards to our design practice, design context and our own progression.
Once our lists were compiled we sat in groups to make definitive lists of what we as a class felt we want to do and need to do:
The level of discussion surrounding these three aspects of our practice was extremely interesting. It raised issues that seemed to be universal to us all, considering that there is a vast variety of design approaches and aspirations across our class this proved that there are obvious wants and needs applicable to us all. Issues such as continuing to be tenacious when contacting companies for placements, gaining web presence, improve documentation of our work / evaluation, develop a brand for ourselves, put together a business strategy. It seems that now, rather than last year, we are all looking forward to our careers post Uni. Like I say these careers are extremely varied but getting there is similar for all of us. I think this was Fred's point. The emphasis this year is definitely on professionalism, networking and forward thinking in preparation for the future.
--------
To clarify our thoughts from the session Fred gave us a piece of homework for the workshop the following day where we had to write five statements on 'What you want to do and why?' + 'What you don't want to do and why?'
What I want to do and why?
1. Develop an identity for my own practice and implement an online portfolio -
It is very important to me, looking forward, to come across to potential clients / placements as professional. The first step for this is to have a strong identity for my practice and a web presence to direct people to, rather than sending them small pdf portfolios.
2. Linked into the first point - Explore & improve my branding and identity skills -
This is an important point because branding and identity seem to underpin every brief we do as graphic designers. To improve these skills would improve my practice even further.
3. Explore design for print -
Printing excites me as a result I want to have a strong arsenal of skills (some might say specialism) relating to print design, i.e. proofing, layout, publishing, commercial print process etc.
4. Collaboration -
In my opinion, through collaboration with our course / other courses or internal / external people a great deal of contacts and networking can occur. You don't get if you don't ask.
5. To enjoy and embrace the briefs I work on -
Obviously we are writing our own briefs this year but I still think it is important to write them to contain subjects I am passionate and knowledgeable on. This will help maintain my interest and motivation, very important when working on 4-5 briefs all at the same time!
What I want to do not and why?
1. Try to persuade people -
As a designer I do not want to work on projects where there is a loaded message. I would much rather present information to people honestly so they can make their own minds up. No hidden agenda, the emphasis is strictly on presenting information.
2. Web design -
Although I feel it important to have an understanding of the basics web design really doesn't appeal to me. My design practice is predominantly print and production based so a high level of technical knowledge isn't applicable. However, a basic framework knowledge is important as it would enable me to be able to design for web passing work on to a web designer to construct. At the end of the day I think my web skills will increase with working in industry as a necessity rather and through vicarious working.
3. Data graphics -
This is really dependent on the subject matter. I'm talking about a corporate context. I know in myself as a designer that I really don't have the patience to sift through lots of data and figure out he best way to display it. It really isn't my forte and there are plenty of people out there who can do it better than me.
4. Become a Mac Monkey:
I have no desire whatsoever to become a pixel pusher. I would much rather have creative control of a project rather than be told what to do. Looking to the future I would like to be in a Creative Director role. That won't be for many many years though.
5. Produce ordinary / safe design -
I want to take calculated risks and push boundaries rather than design to an existing framework. For example, when I worked at lastminute.com's creative department I was sick of having to stick to their bad design. A related point then would be that in the future I want to work for open and receptive clients.
--------
Today we had another workshop and Fred asked us to write a statement, no longer than 20 words, that summed us up as a designer, no bullshit. Here is mine:
Returning to our groups from yesterday to review and discuss our five 'want' / 'do not want' statements everyone said my above summative statement described me & my practice perfectly. I was going to state 'high-end' print design but I feel it important to include low budget print also. What I really want to do is learn to produce low budget print that looks high-end through techniques like limited colour. Dropping the 'high-end' part also means I'm more receptive to disposable / cheap design like free publications / event programs as well as high-end design.
During the workshop we read our 'want' / 'do not want' lists out and sat and listened to questions from the rest of the group. There was strictly no answering back, just note taking. A few things fried my way were:
'If you want creative control you should look at project management and art direction' - something that falls in line with my own career aspirations.
'What type of collaboration do you want to do?' - something I need to think very hard about. Possibly a live brief?
'Looking to the future what clients would you like to work for?' - I think definitely culture sector. Maybe fashion. No corporate if I can avoid it... well... if they were receptive and exciting... maybe?
'High end print vs low budget print?' Lauren suggested writing two briefs so that my ability to work with vastly different budgets is displayed. I think this is a brilliant idea and will definitely re-write my briefs to show this.
Through the course of the past two day's workshops my idea of who I am as a designer has been clarified and stripped down so that I now have a clear direction. Looking at my initial self written briefs now I can see which ones align with my practice more than others. They still need a bit of work but I'm confident I can write four killer briefs now.
No comments:
Post a Comment