Monday, 2 August 2010

Sweetie Pie & The Guttermen

Earlier in the year I designed a logo for a friends band Sweetie Pie & the Guttermen:
Although they liked my logo they said that in their opinion it did not really represent the band (important to bear in mind that when I designed the original I hadn't actually heard their music or seen them live - all I had to go on were the words 'Vintage' , 'Happy' and 'Folk'. 
Now I have seen and heard them I agree - the original is a little too funky in appearance - their sound being poppy folk with sometimes 'serious' musical sensibilities. Knowing this I reproached the logo with a more mature, understated eye. Sans serif type to create a timeless feel. They had also stressed that they want the word 'and' rather than an ampersand but I stressed to them that an Ampersand is much more interesting to look at. 
Some of my initial designs:
They chose the bottom one as the winner (which also happened to be my favourite). They wanted a series of flyers made the size of a bookmark to use for promotion so I designed them a simple black and white design to be printed on different coloured A4 stock (saving on ink costs). 
Due to their long name I, often unwieldy in some layout situations I decided to create a short-hand and circular design. They were happy to use the above circular designs but there would be no sense of unity between the designs, something I felt very important for them as a brand. Below are the three logo variations to be used in different contexts: full, short-hand and stamp.
Promo ideas and tests:
The below is an image I am keen for them to use as an A6 flyer. I proposed it had a white boarder to create a vintage photograph feel and have also distressed the original image in photoshop. I have also suggested that a message like 'With love from Sweetie Pie & the Guttermen. x' be handwritten and printed on the reverse - offering a personalised flyer to be handed out at gigs.
Promo:

No comments:

Post a Comment