Monday, 1 February 2010

Diagnostic

I had a one to one crit with Fred today that I found very helpful. We discussed my blinkering problem mentioned in my previous 'Diagnostic' post. From this it became apparent that I prefer shorter time scales for briefs and the possibility that I tend to struggle with more open briefs. I think this could be true. Right now I would say I prefer briefs with limitations / constraints so that they challenge and shape my design practice. Having said this, I would like to see how I feel once I've ironed out the niggling problems I have in my own personal design practice. 
As a piece of advice to try and combat this Fred said to try and shorten timescales and create internal deadlines within a brief. I have been trying to do this but think I need to be more strict with the deadlines rather than allowing work to roll over into other deadlines.
Fred gave a good piece of advice relating to the above, he said that a job where I have limitations to challenge would suit my practice. Imagine if you will a situation where the a lot of the conceptual work has been decided on then I would work at creating it and turning it into reality, developing it along the way. Perhaps a position I should aim for post degree? I'll let you know nearer the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment